Distance education is the need of today’s world to stay updated with educational terms and spread education all over the world. This blog represents the same. In this blog, you will read the essential elements of distance learning.
- What is Distance Education?
- Why distance Education is called e-learning and online learning?
- What is the type of distance learning course?
- In which medium do student get their classes in distance education or distance learning?
- What are the advantages/merit of distance education?
- What are the disadvantages/demerits of distance education?
- Top 25 Distance Education Colleges in India
- A complete list of 204 Distance Education Courses
What is Distance Education?
Distance education refers to the modern education system where the student gains their expertise in pedology, technology enhancement, instrumental or any professional learning. That is efficiently designed and delivers education to students who are not their physicians. In some scenarios, distance learning needs not be only through online mode. But the student can get their education in the physical mode without following traditional educational hours. Distance education is also known as distance learning, e-learning, and online learning.
For example, if an Indian student wants to study at University in New York without moving there. Then the student can get his or her study distance education, which has moved to the online platform. The quality of the content remains the same, but the mode of study varies.
Distance learning is removing international and geographical barriers. And it is beneficial for those who want to get their desired education from their desired place.
Why distance Education is called e-learning and online learning?
As educational institutions and universities have developed an online platform. So that they can make children more educated and enhance their learning potential with wonderful resources. Universities like Harvard University, the University of California, the Georgia Institute of Technology, and many other institutions have built their online learning platform to spread education over the world.
So, As this learning method takes place over the internet and student gets all the resources with internet connectivity. Therefore, distance learning is also called e-learning or online learning.
What is the type of distance learning course?
You probably have thought about this question, or maybe like this. Well, as the internet is growing up and reaching out to many people every day. And Many Indian and other country educational institutions are offering distance courses to educate students who want to get a better job or profession. There are many courses over there by these universities, whether it’s a certificate course or a diploma course. Now, you can easily recognize degree courses as well with modern information. So here are a few examples of the certificate, diploma, and degree courses.
- Certificate in computer arithmetic
- Basics of OS, UNIX, and Shell programming
- Certificate in Computer Application
- Certificate in Artificial Intelligence
- Certificate in Swift Programming
- Certificate in Cloud Computing
- Core Java Certification course
- Diploma in AutoCAD
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- Diploma in journalism
- Diploma in Tourism Management
- B.A. – Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Technology – Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology – Petrochemical
- Bachelor of Science – PBZ
- Bachelor in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Arts – Political Science, etc.
In which medium do student gets their classes in distance education or distance learning?
There are many learning methods for learners who are seeking to complete their education with the help of distance learning. Here is a brief introduction of some learning types with online studies.
Video conferencing: This is a commonly used method by teachers to educate their students where a single student can take place or an entire class. It all depends on the scenario.
Asynchronous Learning: As e-learning gives access to flexibility, this also does the same. In this method, students get the project to the predetermined due date, and the student needs to complete the task and submit it before the due date.
Open Schedule: It’s also similar to asynchronous learning, but this allows more flexibility because there is no deadline to submit the project or homework. This learning system is suitable for working professionals and parents who want to learn more.
Synchronous learning: This is that mode of education where the students learn together at the same time as digital mode even if they are not at the same place, but the teacher or instructor is in another place and providing class. So, this is like video or teleconferencing which allows students and teachers to connect.
Scheduled or fixed timing: This is a kind of asynchronous program that needs students to be part of the virtual location at the descriptive time, where both teacher and student take place as a webinar.
Hybrid Learning: This is the combination of both the physical and virtual learning systems. Here some students study physics in their regular class and some students study virtually with the help of internet technology.
What are the advantages/merit of Distance Learning?
There are many advantages of distance education for students, so let us discuss
No communicating issue
The significant thing about distance education is you can study from anywhere around the world on your own time. This eliminates global geographical barriers to continuing further studies. Also, the courses offered by international universities are easily accessible to take video lectures.
Complete flexibility of time
The attractive feature of distance education is it provides you with time flexibility, which means you have complete freedom to take your class on your own time. It will be your choice whether you want to study during the day or at night because sometimes it is hard to manage a few hours.
Affordability is another key to attraction
Regular courses come up at higher prices so this can challenge many students to complete their further studies or the course they want to do. On the other side, the cost of distance education is much cheaper than the courses in regular colleges.
SO, if you belong to a family that cannot afford your education, then this can be a better option, as this will help you be what you want to be to provide a better life for your family.
The study can be done while travelling
If you do a job and have little time to devote to your study, then you should opt to distance education as there are many colleges that allow their students to learn over mobile phones so you can learn anything just waiting for tutorials on the mobile phone even you are travelling.
What are the disadvantages/demerits of distance education?
You cannot physically interact with teachers
The bad thing about distance education is you cannot interact with your teachers you can just listen to and see them via online tutorials.
Been you have to study alone you will not have classmates to make fun with and if will have them in the virtual form.
As you will learn with the help of a machine so in that case you might feel bored or can find difficulties to solve your doubts.
Not a competitive environment
As you will have to study alone and you will be free to complete assignments and tasks on your time, then you can feel laziness at times and can take inappropriate time to do that. This is because you will not have your competitors to challenge you to complete tasks effectively. And if you will not have competitors, then your learning process will be slow.
If you cannot afford the internet or in the area where you live there are internet issues then you cannot take distance education courses. All the lectures are held via internet mode like webinar or zoom meetings, which require high-speed internet. If you lack internet resources, then you will not be able to do so.
Top 25 Distance Education Colleges in India
As you know how distance learning helps those students who are playing their social duties or have any other personal issues. In this section, we will discuss some top universities that offer a wide range of courses, whether it is Synchronous learning or hybrid.
About IGNOU. This IGNOU of the largest open or distance learning universities in India and the short name IGNOU stands for Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU). This university offers a variety of degrees, diplomas, and certificate programs at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. It also provides courses at the doctorate level.
What are the plus points about this university?
Fee structure: Lesser than other universities
Location: The location of students can be from anywhere.
Suitable for: Those candidates who want to study with meeting up their responsibilities.
Madurai Kamaraj University
This university was also established in India. MKU DE or Madurai Kamaraj University Distance Learning is a statutory university founded by the Tamilnadu government in 1965. Also, it is recognized by UGC and members of the Association of Indian Universities. And NAAC rated this university as an A grade, which is a plus point of this university. TMKU DE is offering a distance learning opportunity facility since 1971 and has a student strength of 1, 20,000.
A short intro about MKU DE
Full name: Madurai Kamaraj University Distance Education
Number of courses offered: 1128 in 17 streams
Affiliated colleges: 112
Symbiosis Distance MBA
If you want to do an MBA by distance learning, then you can go with the Symbiosis Distance MBA course. This essential course is available for you in distance mode with this university. Its distance learning is also available in online mode and provides educational facilities in over 45 countries.
Plus points about this university
- This is approved by DEC and registered with the Distance Education Bureau from UGC.
- World-class learning experience
- SCDL award winner by ICDE and also has ranked at 1st position in terms of distance education
This University is based in Tamilnadu India. Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education was established in 1979in Cuddalore, Tamilnadu. It offers over 200 courses for students. Also, this university provides certificates, diplomas, and undergraduate, and postgraduate distance learning programs.
In this university, the directorate of distance learning or education was established in 1992. This offers a variety of graduate and postgraduate courses in Arts, Science, Education, and management streams. Also, this offers many jobs oriented, innovative, and the most important relevant courses to the student
Why This University for distance education?
They have updated the curriculum
They offer Tamil and Hindi medium programs
The quality of the study material is good and the optimized fee structure
Also, they offer a mobile learning facility.
This university was established in 2008 and offers both regular and distance education to the student community. If you live in UP then this university can be a better option for you as this is located in Meerut, UP.
Andhra University or Au Distance education opened in 1972 and is one of the renowned universities for higher education. NAAC accredited this university with an A grade and also it is approved by UGC-DEB. AU distance education offered several courses in many streams including Arts, Commence Science, Management, etc.
Key points about AU DE
Full name- Andhra University, School of Distance Education
College grade- A grade by NAAC
Registered with UGC- Yes
College Type- Public
Acharya Nagarjuna University
Acharya Nagarjuna University is funded by UGC and recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and the association of the Common Wealth University (ACU). It was founded in 1796 and NAAC listed this university with an A grade. It provides more than 450 undergraduate, postgraduate and professional courses.
The first director in charge of the Directorate of Distance Education. The DDE L.N. Mithila University, Darbhanga was established in 1998 but it becomes functional in 2015 with the launching of B.Ed. Course with the collaboration of IGNOU. Now, this university is offering many courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, and professional levels. LNMU is approved by UGC-DEB, NCTE, and the State of Bihar Government.
Full name– Lalit Narayan Mithila University Distance Education
Approved & Registered with– UGC,BCI,NACC,NRF
College Type– Public
Punjabi University Patiala
The Directorate of Distance Education, Punjabi University is located in Patiala. This university offers many courses from certificates to degrees and diplomas. If you want to apply to this university then you need to visit its official website to complete your admission process. PU was established in 1962 and its directorate of distance education was formed in 1968/. Every year more than 10,000 students take admitted to this university.
Directorate of distance education GJU (Guru Jambheshwar University) of Science & Technology is located in Hisar, Haryana. This university is accredited with an A grade by NAAC. It was established in 1995. You can enrol for the Undergraduate, Postgraduate courses and there are many diploma courses as well.
From the name of the university, you have to understand that this institute provides distance education in a variety of courses. It was established in 1989 and offers an open learning opportunity for higher education. It provides both UG and PG courses for students such as MA, BCom, MCA, MBA, and many other courses.
Directorate of Distance Education, KU, Kurukshetra University is the pioneer university in Haryana. It was formed in 1976 and approved by UGC. It provides degree, diploma, and PG diploma courses in various fields. It also provides MBA and CA courses in its distance education.
Periyar University Distance Education was established by the Tamilnadu government in 1997 as per Periyar University Act, 1997. This is an A grade University ranked by NAAC in 2015. And the all India level this university has ranked on 83 position list generated by MHRD NIRF 2020. The University is also known as PRIDE. It has undergraduate, and postgraduate courses for Arts, Commerce, and Science stream students.
Manonmaniam Sundaranar University – Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education is an open educational resource. This university is also situated in Tamilnadu and was formed in 1990. It has 28 academic departments and offers a wide range of postgraduates, undergraduate, and M.Phil. And PhD courses. MS University Distance Education is recognized by UGC.
UCC distance education is the University of Cape Coast This is an international university which aimed to provide education to working persons like a basics school teachers, civil services aspirants, clerks, accounting person, or any other who is working and willing to opt for higher education. They provide many UG and PG courses, for taking admission to this university you need to make payments in dollars after that you receive an e-voucher as a receipt.
GITAM, Centre for Distance Learning (CDL) is recognized by DEB and also approved by the joint committee of UGC-AICTE-DEC. This university launched its distance learning program in 2009. It provides a wide range of distance learning programs at affordable prices for students.
MDU is the short name of Maharshi Dayanand University. It was established in 1975 in Rohtak, Haryana. The DDE, MDU provides many UG and PG courses in many streams including management. This university comes under the state government of Haryana. It has approx. 263 institutions and colleges that are affiliated with this university.
Institute of Distance Education
The University of Madras incorporated one of the best institutes of Distance Education in 1981 to help those who want t learn and get their higher education dream. IDE is approved by UGC and now it provides 15 UG and 20 PG courses. Also, this university offers diploma and certificate courses as well.
Bharathiar University is established in 1982 in Coimbatore, Tamilnadu. In 1985 this university got approved by University Grand Commission (UGC). It aims to spread essential knowledge, skills, and creative thinking among the students. This university has 127 affiliated colleges and also 31 research institutions of the state and central governments. It has provided educated to more than 1, 50,000 students.
School of Distance Education opened for students in 1990 and was established in 1989. this is one of the major universities in Kerala and it’s a premier educational university. The full name of MGU is Mahatma Gandhi University. It offers all UG, PG, and doctorate-level programs. MG University has 200 unaided affiliated colleges and 199 recognized research centres.
UEW Distance Courses
UEW or the University of Education, Winneba was formed in 1992. University College of Winebar offers seven awarding colleges in different towns. The aim of this university is to provide higher education and systematic advancement in the science and art of teacher education. If you want to be a trained professional in the field of education then you can go to this university. This is an international university located in Winneba, Ghana.
MIT Distance Learning
MIT School of Distance Education was established in 2008, but MIT was formed in 1983 by Dr Bishwanath D. Karad. This is one of the universities which is offering programs in over 72 institutions and 4 universities. It aims to develop innovative solutions among students to make them ready for the world’s daunting challenges.
Kuvempu University is one of the best and youngest universities in Karnataka, India. KU Directorate of Distance education was situated in 1987 in Karnataka. It offers approx. 40 programs including B.A., B.Sc., B.Com, BBA, MBA, B.LI.Sc and many other courses. It also offers diploma courses as well. It is also accredited by NAAC with an A grade and ranked 73 in all India ranking.
A complete list of 204 Distance Education Courses
- B.A. (History, Politics, Sociology)
- B.A. (Mass Comm.)
- B.A. (Public Administration)
- B.A. (Public Administration, Politics, History)
- B.A. (Spl. English History Spl. Telugu)
- B.A. Criminology & Police Administration
- B.A. Criminology And Administration
- B.A. Historical Studies
- B.A. History
- B.A. HISTORY (ENGLISH)
- B.A. HISTORY (TAMIL)
- B.A. Journalism & Mass Communication
- B.A. Political Science
- B.A. Public Administration
- B.COM (ENGLISH MEDIUM)
- B.COM Computer Applications
- B.Com. (Bachelor of Commerce)
- B.Com. (Computer Applications)
- B.COM. (TAMIL MEDIUM)
- B.COM. Bank Management
- B.COM. Commerce
- B.COM. Corporate Secretaryship
- B.Com.(Computer Applications)
- B.Sc (PCM)
- B.Sc (ZBC)
- B.Sc. (Botany, Zoology, Chemistry)
- B.Sc. (Mathematics)
- B.Sc. (Maths Statistics Computers)
- B.Sc. (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)
- B.Sc. (Maths, Physics, Computer Science)
- B.Sc. (Maths, Physics, Electronics)
- B.Sc. (Psychology)
- B.SC. Mathematics
- B.SC. Psychology
- B.Sc.(Computer Science)
- B.C.A. Computer Applications
- B.B.A. (Bachelor of Business Administration)
- B.B.A. (Banking)
- B.B.A. Business Administration
- BSc. in Computer Science Software (M.Sc.CSS) 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A (Education)
- M.A Tamil
- M.A. (Child Care and Education)
- M.A. (Education)
- M.A. (Hindi)
- M.A. (Journalism and Mass Communication)
- M.A. (Mass Communication)
- M.A. (Personnel Management and Industrial Relations)
- M.A. (Political Science)
- M.A. (Sociology)
- M.A. (Tamil)
- M.A. (Telugu)
- M.A.- A I H C A
- M.A.- Arabic
- M.A. CRIMINOLOGY AND SCIENCE
- M.A.- Economics
- M.A.- English
- M.A.- French
- M.A.- Hindi
- M.A. HISTORY (ENGLISH MEDIUM)
- M.A. HISTORY (TAMIL MEDIUM)
- M.A. Human Resource Management(HRM)
- M.A. Human Rights And Duti
- M.A. Human Rights And Duties Education
- M.A. in Economics 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A. in English 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A. in History 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A. in Panjabi 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A. in Philosophy 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A. in Political Sc. 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A. in Public Administration 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A. in Sanskrit 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.A.- Islamic Studies
- M.A.- Kannada
- M.A.- Marathi
- M.A. MASS COMMUNICATION AND JOURNALISM
- M.A.- Political Science
- M.A. SOCIOLOGY
- M.A.- Tamil
- M.A.(Mass Communication) (Lateral Entry)
- M.C.A. Computer Application
- M.Com – Finance
- M.Com – Marketing
- M.Com. (Accountancy)
- M.Com. (Banking)
- M.Com. (Finance & Control)
- M.COM. Commerce
- M.E.- Bio-Medical Engineering
- M.E.- Electrical Engineering
- M.E.- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- M.L.ISc. (Master of Library and Information Science
- M.Sc (Computer Application)
- M.Sc Dietetics & Food Service Management
- M.Sc. (Botany)
- M.Sc. (Chemistry)
- M.Sc. (Computer Science)
- M.Sc. (Computer Science) Lateral Entry
- M.Sc. (Foods and Nutritional Science)
- M.Sc. (Microbiology)
- M.Sc. (Physics)
- M.Sc. (Statistics)
- M.Sc. (Zoology)
- M.Sc.- Bio-Chemistry
- M.Sc.- Computer Science
- M.SC. Cyber Forensics & Information Security
- M.Sc.- Forensic Science
- M.Sc. in Geography 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.Sc. in Mathematics 2-Year Part-I/II
- M.SC. Information Technology (I.T.)
- M.SC. Information Technology i.t.
- M.SC. Mathematics
- M.SC. Psychology
- M.Sc., (Information Technology)
- M.Sc.,(Computer Science)
- P.G. Diploma Course In Computer Science (Pgdcs)
- P.G. Diploma Course In Public Relations
- P.G. Diploma Export And Import Management
- P.G. Diploma Export Finance And Documentation
- P.G. Diploma In Hospital Management
- P.G. Diploma In Naturopathy & Yogic Sciences
- P.G. Diploma In Shipping & Port Management
- PG Diploma in Computer Application
- PG Diploma in Conflict Resolution
- PG Diploma in Crime
- PG Diploma in Dietetics & Public Nutrition
- PG Diploma in HIV/AIDS Counselling
- PG Diploma in Intellectual Property Rights
- PG Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- PGDBFM (PG Diploma in Banking and Financial Management)
- PGDBI (PG Diploma in Bioinformatics)
- PGDBM (PG Diploma in Business Management)
- PGDBT (PG Diploma in Biotechnology)
- PGDCA (PG Diploma in Computer Applications)
- PGDFM (PG Diploma in Financial Management)
- PGDHHM (PG Diploma in Hospital and Health Care Management)
- PGDHM (PG Diploma in Hotel Management)
- PGDHRM (PG Diploma in Human Resource Management)
- PGDIB (PG Diploma in International Business)
- PGDIM (PG Diploma in Insurance Management)
- PGDIT(PG Diploma in Information Technology)
- PGDJMC (PG Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication)
- PGDMM (PG Diploma in Marketing Management)
- PGDTTM (PG Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Patent Practice
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications (PGDCA) 1-Year
- Post Graduate Diploma in Export Marketing Management (PGDEMM) 1-Year
- Post Graduate Diploma in Food Safety & Quality Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital & Health Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Maternal & Child Health
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Banking and Finance
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Business Administration
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Business and Corporate Law
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Customer Relationship Management
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Export and Import Management
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Instructional Design
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Insurance Management
- Post-Graduate Diploma in International Business
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Pre-primary Teachers Training
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Retail Management
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Supply Chain Management
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Technical Writing
- M.B.A. (GENERAL)
- M.B.A. (Human Resource Management)
- M.B.A. (HUMAN RESOURCES
- M.B.A. (Three years -Two specializations)
- M.B.A. (Tourism and Travel Management)
- M.B.A. Financial Management
- M.B.A. Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- M.B.A. with Dual Specialization (Information Technology/ Human Resource Management/ Marketing Management/ Production & Operation Management/ Financial Management)
- M.B.A. with Single Specialization (Hotel & Tourism Mgt/Telecom Management/Fashion/Pharmaceutical Marketing/ Hospital Administration)
- Certificate Course In Computer Application
- Certificate Course in Computer Applications (CCA) 1-Year
- Certificate Course In e-Commerce
- Certificate Course in HIV AIDS Counselling
- Certificate Course In Library And Information Science
- Certificate Course In Naturopathy And Yogic Science
- Certificate Course In Plant Cell And Tissue Culture
- Certificate Course In Police Administration
- Certificate Course In Spoken Tamil
- Certificate Course In Written Tamil
- Diploma Course In Accounting And Auditing
- Diploma Course In Catering And Hotel Management
- Diploma Course In Functional Arabic
- Diploma Course In Hotel Management
- Diploma Course In Labour Law
- Diploma Course In Logistic And Supply Chain Management
- Diploma Course In Police Administration
- Diploma Course In School Management
- Diploma Course In Taxation
- Diploma Course In Textile & Fashion Design
- Diploma Course In Tourism & Travel Management
- Diploma Course In Yoga
- Diploma in Food Production
- Diploma In Information Security And Cyber Law
- Diploma In Management
- Diploma In Naturopathy & Yogic Sciences
So, if you are dedicated to high-level learning and have the required resources, then you should take distance education. If you work somewhere and want t continue your study, then this is the best fit for you. But if you can afford the fees and do not do side by side, then you must go with regular courses. The reason being this will also enhance your communication, social understanding, and other core skills.
Many of us think that distance education has an inadequate quality of education material and underrate those candidates who have taken distance learning from the UGC recognized universities. So, this is not a good way because technology is changing all the circumstances and empowering candidates to learn more with more understanding.
So, we hope that you have understood what is distance learning, its types, and the top 25 distance learning universities and colleges in India.